This week, we’re getting to know Melissa Truelove.
1. Who is your hero?
a. Alice Roosevelt Longworth, Teddy Roosevelt’s oldest daughter. While Teddy was president, she would barge in on cabinet meetings, wore pants, and had a pet snake named Emily Spinach. She broke all the rules at a time when it was scandalous to do so. Teddy famously once said, “I can run this country or control Alice, I cannot possibly do both.”
2. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
a. Colorado Springs, CO. It is absolutely gorgeous, and the weather is perfect! Temperate summers, low humidity, snow, but not too much snow.
3. What is your favorite family vacation?
a. My Dad and I used to go down to Carolina Beach every year for Father’s Day.
4. What motivates you to work hard?
a. I don’t ever want to wake up one day and feel like I’ve wasted my life doing something I didn’t enjoy.
5. What is your favorite book to read?
a. All of the Harry Potter series.
6. What makes you laugh the most?
a. My cats—They have such weird personalities and watching my grumpy Siamese act like a kitten with his sister is hilarious.
7. What did you want to be when you were small?
a. A dentist (yes at like the age of 10 I wanted to be a dentist, don’t judge). And then I found out forensic odontology was a thing. I started out at NC State in Biochemistry wanting to go to dental school even, until I figured out I couldn’t do chemistry…
8. What is your favorite game or sport to watch?
a. Hockey or football, but only live in the stands.
9. Which would you rather do: wash dishes, mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, or vacuum the house?
a. Vacuum or clean the bathroom. I hate doing dishes and I get eaten alive by mosquitos, so I’m not doing lawn work.
10. If you could hire someone to help you, would it be with cleaning, cooking, or yard work?
a. All of the above! But mostly cleaning—between me, my husband, our roommates, our two cats, our bearded dragon, my roommate’s rats, and our friends coming over, it quickly becomes overwhelming.
11. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
a. Sushi, I could eat sushi for every meal.
12. Who is your favorite author?
a. Stephen King, without a doubt!
13. Would you rather vacation in Hawaii or Alaska, and why?
a. Hawaii, but I wouldn’t pass up an Alaskan cruise.
14. If money was no object, what would you do all day?
a. Honestly, I’d still work, because I love my job.
15. Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
16. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
a. Work shoes: like 15. Casual shoes, at least another 12 or so. I don’t have a problem.
17. If you were a super-hero, what powers would you have?
a. Time Travel. I’d love to be able to go back and see how things actually happened.
18. What is your favorite zoo animal?
19. What is your favorite holiday?
20. What’s your favorite type of foreign food?
a. Anything Asian—Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, I love all of it!
21. What kitchen appliance do you use every day?
a. My kettle.
22. Do you love or hate rollercoasters?
a. Ehh, as long as they don’t go upside down, I’m willing to go on them, but I’d rather be there for the food.
23. What’s your favorite movie?
a. Planet Terror.
24. What three items would you take with you on a deserted island?
a. Phone, sunscreen, flare gun.
25. What was your favorite subject in school?
a. In college, I took a religion class called Cults, Sects, and Minority Faiths in America and it was easily one of my favorite classes. A lot of reading though!
26. Do you collect anything?
a. Houseplants, which then inevitably die, so I just have to get more.
27. If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
a. May contain cat hair
28. What celebrity would you like to meet at Starbucks for a cup of coffee?
a. Kesha—I’d love to just hang out with her.
29. What is your favorite family holiday tradition?
a. My cousin’s Christmas Eve party every year.
30. Who knows you the best?
a. My husband